St. Paul United Methodist Church began its history when three lots were purchased by the Methodist Church Union of Washington, DC at the corner of 2nd and "S" streets, N.W. The formal opening of the building took place in May, 1905. Due to a shift in surrounding population, the Church was moved to a new location at 4700 13th Street, N.W. The first unit of the Church was completed in April, 1928.
Again with the shift of population the Church was relocated at its present site. St Paul has had eighteen Ministers in its sixty three year history.